Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Music Thursday: Vows

Well, have I been waiting for this one. Ever since seeing her last year I've been following Kimbra's progress. It seems she's getting pretty big now. You know you've made it when Katy Perry misspells your name in a tweet.

And (finally), her debut arrived last Friday. If I wasn't already convinced of her amazing musical talent and versatility, the album put forth a pretty convincing argument.

It begins on familiar ground, opening with her first single Settle Down, followed by Cameo Lover. Then we're introduced to the new stuff. Highlights for me include the smoky, cabaret-infused "Good Intent" (the video of which I'm sharing with you tonight), the very funky "Call Me", and the relaxed groove of "Wandering Limbs" (a duet with Melbournian Sam Lawrence that reminds me a little of Zero 7).

I have to say that as good as the music on the album is, her live show is something else entirely. There's just something about her on-stage energy and super-talented, super-tight band that is impossible to capture in the studio. And I think that's something you could be pretty proud of.

I hope you guys enjoy the video for "Good Intent". I've gotta say that I dig it a lot. If I could ever dance in anything actually resembling a "style", then this would be it. The guys in this clip definitely know how to move.

Enjoy.





P.S. If you want to listen to Kimbra's album right now, you can stream it online.




No comments:

Post a Comment